An oar of cars and van stations in station of Strasbourg.
As of the signature of the peace treaty of Frankfurt, one of the first concern of the leaders of new network EL is to place from the consequent orders of cars and vans in order to carry out as quickly as possible the passenger trains without having recourse to the expensive hirings near the French, Belgian and German companies. Since 1874, the speed of the deliveries, carried out as a majority by industries German and Belgian, allows the constitution of a park of 773 cars and 200 vans sufficient for the needs for the lines of the area. In spite of the supervision of the Berliner authorities, a certain freedom in the choice of the models controlled by the EL characterizes the period active until the middle of the decade 1900-1910
Types of hardware of the close companies are selected; one thus sees cars and vans of inspiration Wurtembergeoise, Badoise and Palatine côtoyer the Prussian vehicles. The desire of a larger unification is done then day on the whole of the German networks. Hardware EL, arriving after 1907-1908, is thus copied on Prussian levels of hardware. The deliveries of these impressive manpower, generally three axles, make it possible to proceed to significant radiations in the rows of the oldest units, while answering the considerable rise of the traffic recorded with the approach of the first world war. In 1906, the creation of a fourth class of installation, in the cars travellers, marks the complete alignment of the exploitation of network EL on the German model.