The station of Molsheim with a train drawn by class P1 33.
In the middle of the years 1850, apart from the principal lines, there still exists of vast regions deprived of any access to the rail-bound transport. To satisfy the requests for désenclavement and to obtain connections with the already built lines, the political authorities Alsatian and Lorraine request the imperial Administration more and more. In 1858, the Prefect of the Low-Rhine Stanislas Migneret recommends to establish a network of secondary railways obtained according to an original method of financing. Indeed, by using the resources suitable for the local status voted each year by the general consultings for the construction of roads of great communication, it is possible, at the departmental level, to acquire grounds, then to make earthworks and structures; then, these infrastructures can be leased or yielded to companies, which accepting responsibility for the installation ways and the purchase of the travelling hardware, will take care finally of the exploitation. With five kilometers in the south of Strasbourg, the single track towards Molsheim is detached from the artery active in Basle. The course of the Bruche is constantly followed with a bank change between Duppigheim and Duttlenheim. By measurement of simplification, the antenna serving Wasselonne saw its origin deferred to Molsheim, while always fitting in the valley of Mossig. The continuous principal line in direction of Mutzig, while the junction of Barr passes by Rosheim and Obernai, with a layout slightly different from that in service nowadays.